It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:26 am

Fall ground texture don't show up 

Post Fall ground texture don't show up
Hi Daniel
Thanks for the scenery. I've got just one problem: no ground photo textures in the fall (except the rectangle in
front of the terminal building). The *_au.bmp's are in the texture folder but they just don't show up. Any

suggestion?
Thanks,
Iouri

Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Scenery Developer

I'm very sorry about this but it's actually a big mistake from my side. The extension has to be *_fa not *_au. You can either change them yourself manually or else wait for a service update. Definitely the word autumn was passing through my mind when naming those
textures.

Daniel

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:27 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Daniel, I renamed them all. It's OK now.
Just one thing. Before your posted about how to make this scenery work along with the Simwings' Malta I have "played around" a bit with your BGL's and accidentally renamed the MALTA2004.bgl. No photo terrain, objects floating in the air! But not all of them at the same level. Probably the reason why, while the MALTA2004.bgl is activated, some of the vehicles near the main apron completely disappear in the ground, some others just show up their tops. Is it just me or we need a fix there? In case of the fix needed, could you make it TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 compatible just to be able to use the scenery without any problem along with the most of the existing airport add-on's in Europe ?
BTW, to use LMML v2 with the Simwings' Islands of Malta I,d propose to rename Maltaterrain.bgl in the Flight Simulator 9\aerosoft\Islands of Malta\Malta_LC\scenery folder too. The island will be more flat but without floating grownd textures at the
west end of the airport.
Except this all I miss at LMML is the AES' support but it won't be long!
Cheers,
Iouri

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 pm
Scenery Developer

unfortunately it's very difficult to cater for all types of thrd-party mesh terrain available. Besides the aerial photos are mapped onto a flat polygon not directly onto the mesh terrain so it will never hug the terrain properly unless all the area is flattened. The reason for
using a flat polygon is simply because mesh terrain can only accept a texture resolution of up to 4.75m/pixel whilst the ones

I used are 1m/pixel. FSX will be a different story as it can accept hi-res textures.

Regarding the floating vehicles I will be issuing a patch to solve such a problem.

Regards
Daniel

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW

I just meant that most of add-on airports LMML is linked to by real life airlines are designed for TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19. In my FS, your scenery works fine with both 19 and 21 values (haven't tested with 20 yet but I'm sure it would work alright as well) with or without Simmwings' scenery. No problem with photo terrain display nor with objects (except the main apron objects). I use no other
mesh for Malta. I just noticed that with 21, on the main apron, I have just 3 buses and north side containers/loaders at the
right level and with 19 - nearly not a single object (vehicles, loaders, noth side highway-by fences). So, if the

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL value makes no difference for the rest of the scenery and you have to fix main apron objects anyway,
I thought it would be better to make them TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 compatible as most of simmers and most of add-on's use
his value. If I'm wrong or (and) it's impossible, never mind, I don't know much about scenery development.
Regards and

thanks again.
Iouri

Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:26 pm
Scenery Developer

Quote:
most of add-on

airports LMML is linked to by real life airlines are designed for TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19

Honestly I

didn't quite understand what you mean by this

sentence.

Quote:
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19

When you are speaking about terrain vertex

level you are actually speaking about about the resolution of the mesh terrain however it has got nothing to do with the

elevation of the 3d objects themselves. It's a totally different story always hoping that I understood you

correctly.
However as I said the the problem of the floating vehicles on the main apron has been solved and hopefully by

Saturday an update should be available.

Daniel

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

As I said I'm not a developper. I

just noticed that with MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 more objects on the main apron are half or totally in the grownd than with
MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 even if it's should be a completly different story. Try both, you'll see what I mean. If these values
have nothing to do with 3d objects and they only change the mesh elevation (and as I said I don't see any difference between
both terrain displays at LMML, 19 or 21) then your scenery doesn't really need more detailed TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL. It
could be more common 19 since it does not cause any terrain issues at LMML. It's a pity to take-off in LEVEL 21 LMML and land in another airport with lots of terrain or objects issues because that scenery was designed for LEVEL 19. Personnally I don't plan to fly from Malta to Tongass Fjords (a LEVEL 21 product), baybe I'm the only one .
So, since at this moment 19 or 21 makes difference for some 3d objects, the question is what TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL the objects should be compatible with to chose: 19 or 21 (or other)? I'd prefere a more common 19. But it's you, the boss.
Regards
Iouri

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:29 pm
Scenery Developer

I think what's happening is that

when you are changing the max_vertex_level you are raising/lowering the mesh terrain and automatically since ground objects

get their elevations (in this case) from ground level then automatically you are changing the elevation of the ground

objects. You raise the ground, the objects will rise, you lower the terrain the objects will be lowered but the datum is

always fixed ie AGL. If an object stands 30 feet above ground and you raise the terrain the same way you are doing, the

object is going to rise as well but it's always going to remain at 30 feet above ground. It's a little difficult to explain

but the of idea 3d objects being compatible with terrain max vertex level, does not exist, at least not in this

case.

However the floating 3d objects has been solved, but not because they have been made compatible with vertex

level 21 :wink:

Daniel

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

Chircop wrote:
However the floating 3d objects has been solved, but not because they have been made compatible with

vertex level 21 :wink:

Daniel

That's what really matters. Thanks, Daniel. Still, I wish I could understand one day all

those weird things I have sometimes in this bl***y FS and especially why I spend all this time and money for it :wink:
Iouri

Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:31 pm
Scenery Developer

I basically checked what you were doing with the max_vertex_level setting and I do confirm what I told you, that by changing from 19 to 21 you are simply increasing the resolution of the mesh terrain and by this the ground was being raised and automatically the 3d objects were being raised as well. You were not seeing the mesh terrain rising simply because it's covered by a ground polygon.

However and in a way it's thanks to you for bringing up this whole topic, the max vertex level setting has to be 21 not 19. Leaving it at 19 will make the size of the hole where the carpark sits in, larger than it should be (due to decreased resolution) and will extend beyond Apron9. All the 3d objects will then fall into this hole. So it's very important to set it to 21.

Daniel

Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:18 am
Profile WWW